There are several major highways projects underway or planned in the UK, including:
- Lower Thames Crossing: This project will create a new crossing beneath the River Thames, connecting Kent and Essex. The new tunnel is expected to ease congestion on the existing Dartford Crossing.
- A303 Stonehenge: This project involves upgrading a 8-mile section of the A303 road in Wiltshire, which includes the Stonehenge World Heritage Site. The aim is to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion.
- A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon: This project involves upgrading a 21-mile section of the A14 road in Cambridgeshire, including a new bypass to the south of Huntingdon. The aim is to improve connectivity and reduce congestion.
- Smart motorways: The UK government has invested heavily in converting existing motorways to “smart” motorways, which use technology to monitor and manage traffic flow. This includes the conversion of the M4, M5, M6 and M62.
- HS2: High Speed 2 (HS2) is a planned high-speed railway that will link London, Birmingham, Manchester, and Leeds. The project aims to improve connectivity and reduce journey times between these cities.