Since COVID, there has been a sharp increase in online interviews as opposed to the traditional face to face interviews. Please find some helpful tips to help you land your dream job:
- Test your technology: Before the interview, make sure that your device, camera, microphone, and internet connection are working properly. Test them out to ensure that there are no technical difficulties during the interview.
- Dress appropriately: Even though it’s an online interview, dress as you would for an in-person interview. This will help you look and feel professional, and also show your respect for the interviewer.
- Choose a quiet and well-lit space: Find a quiet, well-lit area for the interview, free from distractions and interruptions. Make sure the background is neat and tidy.
- Prepare as you would for an in-person interview: Research the company and the position you are applying for, and prepare answers to common interview questions.
- Have a backup plan: In case of technical issues, have a backup plan ready. For example, exchange phone numbers with the interviewer beforehand so that you can call if there are any connectivity issues.
- Be engaged and attentive: During the interview, make eye contact with the interviewer, actively listen, and avoid multitasking or checking your phone.
- Follow up with a thank-you note: After the interview, send a thank-you email to the interviewer expressing your appreciation for the opportunity and reiterating your interest in the position.
Remember, an online interview is still a formal interview, so treat it as such. By being prepared, professional, and engaging, you can increase your chances of impressing the interviewer and landing the job.